Recipe by kjshay
After looking all over the internet for Piper's recipe that was published In Bon Appetit in 1992 and not being able to find it, I managed to find this recipe which looks very similar, from the Latter Day Saints AOL message board. Posting here for safekeeping.
Top Review by mahlmd
I have the March 1992 Bon Appetit, and love this recipe - hope you check this out: 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch wide strips flour (for dredging) 2 pears, pealed, cored, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices 1 bunch green onions, coarsely chopped 3/4 cup apple brandy or brandy 1/2 cup apple cider 1 cup whipping cream Freshly cooked rice 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge chicken in flour, shake off excess. Add to skillet in batches and sauté until cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in same skillet. Add pears and green onions to skillet and sauté 8 minutes. Add brandy and apple cider and boil until liquid is reduced to glaze, about 8 minutes. Add whipping cream and simmer until thickened to sauce consistency, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add chicken and stir to heat through. Spoon rice onto plates. Top with chicken and sauce sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve. (8 servings). From: Bon Appetit, March 1992
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 beaten egg, with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- seasoning salt (for dredging)
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 ripe pears, pared, cored, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 granny smith apple, pared, cored, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2⁄3 cup apple cider, reduced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts (optional)
- 2 chopped scallions (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Dip pieces of chicken breast into seasoned raw egg, dredge well in seasoned flour, then brown chicken, but don't cook all the way. Remove to plate.
- In drippings, saute fruit 3 minutes; with slotted spoon remove to bowl. In drippings, melt butter, saute celery and onion 5 minutes. Return chicken to pan; add broth and reduced apple cider. Bring to boiling; simmer, covered 20 minutes. Add fruit and any juices; heat thoroughly.
- You may toss toasted hazelnuts over the top for serving. I've added scallions chopped finely, as this is not a colorful dish,.
- **For reduced apple cider - Take 2 cups of fresh squeezed or store bought apple cider (not just juice) and boil until it reduces down to about half. Measure 2/3 cup for this recipe. Concentrated flavor!