After looking all over the internet for Piper's recipe that was published In Bon Appetit in 1992 and not being able to find it, I managed to find this recipe which looks very similar, from the Latter Day Saints AOL message board. Posting here for safekeeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 beaten egg, with
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- seasoning salt (for dredging)
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 ripe pears, pared, cored, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 granny smith apple, pared, cored, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup apple cider, reduced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped hazelnuts (optional)
- 2 chopped scallions (optional)
- 1In large skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Dip pieces of chicken breast into seasoned raw egg, dredge well in seasoned flour, then brown chicken, but don't cook all the way. Remove to plate.
- 2In drippings, saute fruit 3 minutes; with slotted spoon remove to bowl. In drippings, melt butter, saute celery and onion 5 minutes. Return chicken to pan; add broth and reduced apple cider. Bring to boiling; simmer, covered 20 minutes. Add fruit and any juices; heat thoroughly.
- 3You may toss toasted hazelnuts over the top for serving. I've added scallions chopped finely, as this is not a colorful dish,.
- 4**For reduced apple cider - Take 2 cups of fresh squeezed or store bought apple cider (not just juice) and boil until it reduces down to about half. Measure 2/3 cup for this recipe. Concentrated flavor!
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.8
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 199.0 mg
- Sodium 287.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 36.3 g