Recipe by Norelllaura1
We love Cheese and we love soup so this was a natural for us. Sometimes I'll simmer some broccoli with the potatoes and make it into a cheddar and broccoli soup (so long as the child's not around)!
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 large idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cube (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 -3 cups smoked cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a med. saucepan, melt butter over med. heat. Add the onions, potatoes and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 10 mins; DO NOT LET THEM BROWN. Add the chicken stock and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to med. and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, whisk the dry mustard into the cream and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to med. and simmer for 3 minutes At this point you can cover and refrigerate it for 2 days; just reheat before going ahead.
- Stir in the grated cheese and stir until just melted. Season with worcestershire sauce, pepper. Sprinkle with chives and serve at once.