1 hr 20 mins
A hearty multi-grain breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- vegetable oil (for panfrying)
- bacon drippings (optional) or sausage drippings (optional)
- unsalted butter, softened
- 1To make the syrup: (sterilize 2 half-pint canning jars unless you intend to use all the syrup immediately); combine the raisins and rum in a medium saucepan; let sit for 10-15 minutes; stir in ¾ cup water and the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2Decrease the heat to a simmer; cook for about 5 minutes, until melded into a thin sauce; use syrup immediately or pour into jars, cover, cool, and refrigerate; the syrup keeps for weeks.
- 3To make the griddle cakes: in a mixing bowl, stir the flours, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt together (it is recommended to use a bowl with a pouring spout).
- 4Scrape in the melted butter; stir until the butter disappears into the dry ingredients.
- 5In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form; set aside.
- 6In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks with the milk until frothy.
- 7Pour egg yolk mixture into the dry ingredients; mix until well combined; fold in the egg whites.
- 8Warm a griddle or large skillet over medium heat.
- 9Pour a thin film of oil onto the griddle (if desired, add ¼ to ½ teaspoon drippings to the oil for a heartier flavor).
- 10Pour or spoon out the batter onto the hot griddle, where it should sizzle and hiss ( a generous 3 tablespoons of batter will make a 4-inch pancake); make as many cakes as you can fit without crowding.
- 11Cook the pancakes until their top surface is covered with tiny bubbles but before all the bubbles pop (1-2 minutes).
- 12Flip the pancakes and cook until the second side is golden brown (1-2 minutes).
- 13Repeat with the remaining batter, adding to the griddle as needed a bit more oil and bacon drippings if desired.
- 14Serve immediately with butter and syrup.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Brown-Bread Griddle Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 665.9
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 141.4 mg
- Sodium 583.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 36.8 g
- Protein 13.7 g