1/1 Photo of New England Boiled Dinner
3 hrs 50 mins
Karen's Krazy Kitchen's Note:
This is a robust, one pot meal (if you do not make the optional beets) . I like to make this in the fall and winter with the best looking root veggies of the season. I do not use the spice pack that sometimes comes with the meat. Serve with corn bread, prepared horseradish and your favorite mustard. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 lbs corned beef brisket
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 medium yukon gold potatoes, quartered or 9 small red potatoes, left whole
- 5 medium onions, peeled, keep the stem to hold them together
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 baby turnips, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 8 small beets, see included recipe (optional, serve on their own)
- 1 medium green cabbage, cored and cut into 8 chunks
- 1Rinse the corned beef with cold water.
- 2Place the corned beef in a very large pot.
- 3Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- 4Skim off any surface scum once it reaches a boil.
- 5Add bay leaves, cover and simmer for two hours.
- 6Add the potatoes and onions and cook for 20 minutes.
- 7Add the carrots, turnips and parsnips and cook for 30 more minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, put beets in a large pot of cold water and bring to a boil.
- 9Add a large pinch of salt once boiling.
- 10Reduce heat to a low simmer, half cover and continue cooking for 35 minutes, then strain.
- 11When cool, remove the peels and put the beets in a gratin dish with some butter and/or vinegar in a 200 degree oven to keep warm.
- 12When assembling the dish, do not include the beets with the other veggies. Serve them as are in their own gratin dish.
- 13Remove the meat from the pot and place on an oven proof platter or roasting pan, cover with tinfoil and place in the oven with the beets.
- 14Bring the broth and vegetable mixture up to a boil and add the cabbage. Boil for 5 minutes and then turn down to a simmer and cook for at least 3 more minutes, more if you like softer cabbage (I do it for 10 more minutes).
- 15Slice the meat and serve on a platter, surrounded by the vegetables and some of the stock or pot liqueur .
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Boiled Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (630 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 762.0
- Calories from Fat 391
- Total Fat 43.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 222.1 mg
- Sodium 2683.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 46.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: