Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
A hearty, delicious family meal
- 1 (6 lb) corned beef brisket
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 whole cloves
- 5 whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 garlic clove
- 10 medium beets, trimmed
- 12 onions, peeled
- 6 medium waxy potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 large green cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- Place the corned beef in a large pot and cover with water. Simmer for 1 hour, skimming off any foam that forms on the surface of the water.
- Pour off teh waer; cover with fresh water. Add teh chopped onions, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves, and garlic. Cover and simmer for 3 to 4 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, boil the beets in a large saucepan with enough water to cover, until tender (about 1 hour). Drain, cool, peel, and cut into quarters.
- Transfer teh meat from the liquid to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Bring the meat's cooking liquid to a boil. Add teh onions, potatoes, carrots, turnips, and parsnips. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the cabbage and continue to simmer for 15 minutes more, until all the vegetables are tender.
- Slice the brisket across the grain and serve with the beets and other vegetables.