Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Just have to have this once in a while!
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) corned beef brisket
- 6 small onions
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and chunked
- 2 medium rutabagas, peeled and cut in small chunks
- 1 small cabbage, cut in wedges
- Place meat in dutch oven.
- Add spices from pkg if desired.
- Add water to cover meat.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered 2 hours.
- Add all vegetables EXCEPT cabbage.
- Cover, return to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add cabbage.
- Cover; cook for 20 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This was the recipe I used for my St. Paddy's Day dinner on March 17/02, part of our Zaar "Go Irish - Go Green" cook-a-thon. The directions were clear and simple and, even though I had a smaller piece of corned beef, it all worked out great! I did steal an idea from one of Mirjam Dorn's recipes though, and added some apple juice and brown sugar to the water covering the beef. Inez, thanks for posting this; it really helped a corned-beef novice like me! I highly recommend this recipe to anyone who is unsure about cooking corned beef. Delicious ... I'll be making this again, for sure!
My mom used pork shoulder. I save the liquid and some carrots,little onion and the cabbage.refridgerate,add to soup pan and add 2 lg cans of whole tomatoes W/basil to liquid 1/2 link of kilbasa more cabbage and re heat. rough cut tomatoes. love it Gentleben