4 hrs 15 mins
LtlPhyl #2's Note:
This is my own recipe creation which also works well using a smoked ham picnic shoulder. For either brisket or ham reserve the cooking stock to make delightful soups. Cooking water for either boiled dinner may also be frozen to use at a later time. Cooking and prep times are approximate due to the size of meat and vegetables you use. ENJOY :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse corned beef and place in a large pot; barely cover with hot water.
- 2Add onions, garlic.
- 3Tie the whole cloves, peppercorns and bay leaves in a square of cheese cloth for easy removal from cooking stock.
- 4Cover; simmer about 1 hour per pound of meat or until fork tender.
- 5Remove meat from liquid; add potatoes and carrots.
- 6Cover; bring to boiling, cook 10 minutes.
- 7Add cabbage; cook 20 minutes more.
- 8To carve corned beef cut across the grain in thin slices.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New England Boiled Dinner
Serving Size: 1 (689 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1216.8
- Calories from Fat 588
- Total Fat 65.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 333.2 mg
- Sodium 3980.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.6 g
- Sugars 17.1 g
- Protein 72.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: