Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I LOVE picnics & sometimes I go to areas where I can't heat up anything. Chicken is good cold, so why not beans? I finally got my recipe for slow cooked beans just right. I love them cold, almost better than if they came straight out of the crock pot. I hope all that try these agree. I welcome comments & new suggestions.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork & beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped (I like Vadalia best)
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1⁄4 lb fully cooked bacon, sliced 1-inch pcs. (I don't recommend bacon bits)
- salt & pepper
- Be sure to drain and rinse the beans. You can spray the crock pot with a small bit of Pam if you wish or use a non-stick pot.
- Mix all ingredients in crock pot and slow cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring now and again. Or on low heat for 1 hour on stovetop.
- It is important to slow cook these beans for at least an hour so the sauce thickens to the beans.
- You can use other types of beans, I have used Northern, Mexican (adding a bit of chili powder in the recipe), & Pinto.
I LOVE baked beans, and this recipe is awesome--reminds me of another one I love called "Calico Beans" ... gotta love anything with BACON in it! :rofl: Miss Hawggy ha arrived! The only thing I did differently was to NOT rinse the beans, otherwise this recipe doesn't need any tweaks! My mom has a similar recipe (we call it "Cowboy Beans") wherein we fry a pound of hamburger and add that AND bacon. Try that, too, makes it more of a main dish casserole then. Anyway, thanks for posting! *Made for Spring '09 PAC*