Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs 30 mins
From "Fix-It and Forget-It" slow cooker cookbook. (2000) I do not use the pork, but instead add a little Liquid Smoke.
- 3 cups dried navy beans
- 9 cups water
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon salt, to taste (I use way less!)
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork, diced (optional)
- Bring beans and 9 cups water to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain beans; place in Crock Pot.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on LOW for at least 8 hours.
- For Vegetarian omit the pork.
A good recipe that is incredibly easy. I used small red beans, which worked fine. Although I know baked beans are supposed to be sweet, I found these a little too cloying. Next time I make them, I will reduce the amount of sugar.