Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty, rib-sticking side dish from the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 (20 ounce) cans hominy, very well drained (you want about 3 cups of hominy)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 lb sliced bacon
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325F and butter a shallow baking dish.
- Place drained hominy in prepared baking dish.
- Melt butter and saute onions and pepper until light and golden; add tomatoes, sugar and salt and simmer for ten minutes.
- Pour mixture over hominy and cover with sliced bacon arranged in a basket-weave pattern.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until bacon is brown and crispy.