Recipe by MrsMM
Zucchini is back in season and boy have I found a FANTASTIC recipe. It's different, healthy, delicious and so fragrant! I found it in a Food & Wine cookbook promotional. It's credited to Suvir Saran.
Top Review by Elmotoo
10 stars! This was absolutely fabulous! The flavors are really really divine. I only used 2 dried peppers because I was nervous about the heat level but in the end I wish I had used all 3. The curry leaves have such an indescribable flavor that can't be replicated & adds so much. I feel very fortunate that i have a market down the street that carries them! Be sure to have all your ingredients chopped, measured & ready to rock because this comes together QUICKLY! I even found organic unsweetened coconut flakes so I didn't have to sub shredded. :) Thank you!! Made for Zucchini Tag in the Spain/Portugal Forum.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs green and yellow zucchini
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup coconut flakes
- 3 whole dried red chilies
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut zucchini lengthwise in half, then into 1/3 inch slices, like half moons.
- Heat oil in pan til simmering over moderate heat.
- Add mustard seeds, cooking for about 2 minutes, until they begin to pop.
- Add coconut, curry leaves, chilis, jalapeno, cumin seeds and turmeric to pot. BE CAREFUL- THE CURRY LEAVES WILL POP AND SPLUTTER!
- Cook for about 2-4 mins, stirring frequently, until the coconut begins to brown.
- Add zucchini, mixing thoroughly, and turn the heat up to medium/high. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 8 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste, cook one more minute.
- Serve hot with your choice of flatbread.