Recipe by cooking in cairo...
This a great hearty dish, especially in winter. The secret, I think, in this, is starting to cook the stew meat with so many onions, really gives it a rich hearty flavor. You can add any vegetables you like too, I kept it simple and its still so good! Enjoy!
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 large onions (SLICED FINELY)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 0.5 (1 1/2 ounce) package beef stew seasoning (McCormick Beef Stew Seasoning Mix)
- 2 large potatoes, sliced
- 2 -3 carrots, sliced
- 4 leaves green cabbage, sliced into bite-size chunks
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cornstarch
- salt & pepper
- 1 dash Gravy Master (gravy starting sauce) or 1 dash Kitchen Bouquet (gravy starting sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a pot, heat a tablespoon or so of oil, add stew meat and stir until browned.
- Add sliced onions, stir around a bit, then add chicken bouillon cubes.
- Stir around abit, add some water, like a cup or so. Cover and turn to simmer. Check after approximately 20 minutes and if water is very low, add another cup or two or water, you can't add too much -- cover and let cook approximately 1 hour.
- Add half package of stew mix, add another two cups of water, alittle bit of salt & pepper to taste, a dash of kitchen bouquet, cover and let cook until meat is super tender.
- Add chopped vegetables, some more water if you need to, cook for approximately 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender to your liking.
- Put cornstarch into dish and add some water to make a paste, not too thick, whisk until smooth and then add to pot. This will give your sauce a little thickness. You can adjust cornstarch and water mixture to suit how thick or thin you want the sauce.
- Serve over rice or even egg noodle pasta.
- ***A great twist to this! Before serving, stir in a spoon of sour cream for a creamy sauce, haven't done it myself, but would be great i know -- ***.