Recipe by BeansnRice
I call this "New Baby Casserole" because when friends were having babies, I would make this casserole for them to eat when they got home from the hospital. I don't remember where I got it but it has such a nice blend of flavors.
Top Review by smellyvegetarian
This was yummy! I almost hate to give it a "star" review, though, because I made a pretty significant change. I used about half the amount of cheese called for (we're just not super-cheesy folks) and at the last minute I discovered what I thought was ground turkey in my freezer was actually turkey breakfast sausage. Doh! So I raided my pantry and subbed in two cans of tuna and about a cup of sliced mushrooms for bulk. It worked out great; DH and I both really enjoyed it. The crunch of the water chestnuts is especially nice! I will try this again with turkey, but in true "casserole" fashion this is obviously a very flexible recipe! Thanks for posting. Made for Healthy Choices 2008.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, diced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 29 ounces tomatoes
- 16 ounces tomatoes
- 8 ounces water chestnuts
- 1 cup American cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces egg noodles
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add celery, green pepper and onion and saute 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the Cheddar cheese.
- Simmer 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Pour mixture into a 9" X 13" casserole dish and sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes.