Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Variation on a Swiss traditional recipe. Moist and beautiful carrot cake.
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 lemon, grated zest only
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice (original recipe 1 pinch cloves ground)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups carrots (peeled, grated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground almonds (original recipe hazelnut ground)
- 3 tablespoons white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 5 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger lemonade (original recipe lemon juice or kirsch)
- sugar marzipan carrots (optional)
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and soft.
- Add gradually step by step lemon zest, spices and carrots, almonds, flour and baking powder.
- Beat egg whites until stiff, then fold gently into carrot mixture.
- Grease your 10 inch (24-26 cm) baking tin and coat with bread crumbs.
- Pour batter into tin, and bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 50 minutes (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
- Check with a tooth stick before taking out.
- Cool down and remove put on your cake plate.
- Mix icing sugar and ginger lemonade until well incorporated and spread over cooled cake.
- Decorate with carrot-sweets.
- Note: I shape the carrots myself with marzipan.
This is definitely a different kind of carrot cake than I'm used to eating (much less making), but it's very, very tasty & enjoyable, too! I'm a lemon lover, so thoroughly enjoyed the zest in the cake (& I did use a large lemon!) as well as the lemon-flavored icing, which is a very nice change from the usual cream cheese frosting! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar recipe tag]