Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This tastes NOTHING like a normal Taco Salad. It is so different that it will wake up your taste buds. Kids will love it.
- 1 lb ground beef
- taco seasoning (Old El Paso works well)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 1 bag Fritos corn chips
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 bottle catalina French dressing
- Fry and drain 1 pound of ground beef.
- Put beef back in pan and add taco seasoning and water.
- Cook until no longer watery.
- Chop up lettuce really fine.
- Dice 2 tomatoes.
- Put all ingredients in a big bowl.
- Add a small bag of Fritos regular chips.
- Add big bag of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add one chopped green onion.
- Add one big bottle Catalina French Dressing.
- Mix well.
This is great! Since I don't like Fritos, I used Doritos and a can of red kidney beans. It's a great change of pace.
This is the standard "taco salad recipe" here in the U.P. (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan. I've made this one for years. Sometimes I add a can of green chilies or chopped jaolopenos if I want to kick up the heat to offset the sweetness of the Catalina dressing. I had friends who were transplanted from Phoenix last summer over for a barbeque and she avoided this salad (she of Mexican decent) until I begged her to take a taste. One bite and she was hooked! She now says this is her favorite taco salad recipe!
wonderful salad for a hungry crowd...I've made it before and always use a can of red kidney beans (drained) and sometimes use thousand island dressing