Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
It’s summer and it’s hot. What I want…what I crave…is to eat something delicious, refreshing and healthy, and that’s how this brown rice tabbouleh was born. It’s the perfect salad to have with grilled anything, or to bring to a potluck. And you know you’re being good to yourself in every way possible.
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, seeded and small dice
- 1 1⁄2 cups English cucumbers, seeded and small dice
- 20 -25 grape tomatoes, halved (quartered, if large or cherry tomatoes)
- 1 medium purple onion, small dice
- 1 cup parsley, packed and minced
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, packed and minced
- 1⁄2 cup spearmint, packed and minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large, resealable bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste. Toss salad with dressing. Taste salad (try to get a little of everything on your fork), add a little more lemon, if necessary. Adjust seasoning.
- Refrigerate at least 2-3 hours before serving to allow flavours to mingle and love each other. Mix salad well before serving to redistribute dressing. :-).
This has all the flavors that you are looking for in tabbouleh. The recipe was scaled to 2 servings and actually ended up with 3 very nice size servings. Short grain brown rice and roma tomatoes were used. The use of fresh lemon juice is a must. I would make this again. Good luck in the contest.
Nice bright flavors! I loved the mint in this. We didn't have grape tomatoes, so used a heirloom tomato. Thanks and good luck!