Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Found at www.caribbeanchoice.com for the ZWT5
- 14.79 ml ground allspice
- 14.79 ml dried thyme
- 7.39 ml cayenne pepper
- 7.39 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 7.39 ml ground sage
- 3.69 ml ground nutmeg
- 3.69 ml ground cinnamon
- 29.58 ml salt
- 29.58 ml garlic powder
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml soy sauce
- 177.44 ml white vinegar
- 118.29 ml orange juice
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 236.59 ml onion, chopped
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 chicken breasts (6 to 8 oz each and trimmed of fat)
- In a large bowl, combine the allspice, thyme, cayenne pepper, black pepper, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, garlic powder and sugar.
- With a wire whisk, slowly add the olive oil, soy sauce, vinegar, orange juice, and lime juice.
- Add the pepper, onion, and green onions and mix well.
- Add the chicken breasts, cover and marinate for at least 1 hour, longer if possible.
- Preheat an outdoor grill. Remove the breasts from the marinade and grill for 6 to 10 minutes on each side or until fully cooked.
- While grilling, baste with the marinade.
Delicious! I had to substitute white wine vinegar for white vinegar but it came out fine. It didn't seem spicy at all to me. Served with with baked plantains and a tropical fruit salad.
Mmmmmmmmm...this chicken Jamaica me very happy :) I loved the flavors in the marinade; it had just the right amount of kick to it. I will be keeping this recipe close by for cookouts this summer. I served this chicken with Rice and Peas (Beans) and Bolo Di Mahishi -- Corn Pudding (Curacao -- Caribbean). Thanks for this yummy recipe, SueVM. Made for ZWT5. Update: This recipe is in my Top Favorites of 2009 Cookbook.
I was afraid my kids wouldn't like the spiciness of this chicken, but they cleaned their plates! I used fresh garlic because I didn't have powder. Also, I added the cayenne only to the adult's half of the chicken. To cook the chicken, I first browned it in a cast iron skillet, then I put the skillet in the oven to finish cooking and poured about half the marinade on top. The marinade was a little salty, so I wont add as much salt next time. I liked this cooking method because the onions and bell pepper served as a garnish. Served it with Garlic Herbed Mashed Potatoes (Bahama Breeze's Recipe) and steamed broccoli. Thank you Sue! Made for ZWT5 & Dining Daredevils.