Prep 12 mins
Cook 40 mins
These are a tweak of the Food Networks house popovers. Thanks to my dear husband who has been my popover guinea pig--he survived the "pancakes," "interestings" and "hmmm" style versions, but this one always gets rave reviews from him and the kid.
- 1 cup bread flour (no substitutes)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup skim milk, warmed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425.
- In bowl, whisk together flour and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk milk, butter and eggs until blended.
- Make a well in the flour, pour in the milk mixture, and whisk to make a smooth batter.
- Let batter stand for 10 minutes (important).
- Put dry 6-cup popover pan into the oven, to preheat for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven, CAREFULLY (use pump sprayed oil, without propellants, if available, to reduce risk of combustion)spray with cooking spray (or, divide 2 tsp of shortening among all 6 cups, and brush it around to coat sides).
- Ladle in batter evenly into all cups, and bake for 20 minutes.
- DO NOT OPEN OVEN OR POPOVERS WILL FALL!
- Lower heat to 350, and continue to bake for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, and poke each with the tip of a small knife to release steam (if desired--I like mine moist on the inside).
- Serve immediately.