Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Make certain to have your egg whites at room temperature before starting this cake, the secret to perfect sponge cake is to beat your egg yolks until very thick and lemon colored, using a heavy-duty stand mixer will speed things up, this recipe was tested using extra large eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup room temperature water
- 1 -2 tablespoon grated lemons (optional) or 1 -2 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Prepare an ungreased tube pan with removable sides.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored (this is important the egg yolks must be thick, the beating time should take about 5 minutes or more).
- Add in sugar, vanilla and lemon juice; beat until thoroughly blended and no sugar granules remain (about 5 minutes).
- Add in sifted flour mixture alternately with water; beat until just blended.
- In a large stainless steel or copper bowl beat room temperature egg whites with cream of tartar until quite stiff; gently fold into the flour mixture.
- Transfer to the ungreased tube pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Immediately turn the pan upside down and cool completely before removing.
Truly Never-Fail! It's exactly what sponge cake should be.
This is phenomenal! I hate sponge cake....but not any more. Excellent flavor. Rose up beautifully. Made for my 6 year olds birthday at his request. Made a 2 layer cake. Could have made 3. I greased glass cake pans for easy layer making. Searching for a chocolate ganache recipe, now... Thank you!
Perfect! Light, fluffy and better than those in a bakery! I used it for a strawberry shortcake and also as layers for a mouse filled birthday cake., baked in 2 - 9" round pans. I wouldn't change a thing, just make sure to cool the cake upside down so it doesn't flatten from gravity.