Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
I found this recipe online a year or so ago and I have only cooked roast beef this way since. The only time this method was disappointing was when the roast was too small, it turned out medium. The meat should be very brown and crispy on the outside and pink all the way through, juicy and medium rare. How many this serves depends on size of roast.
- 1 large beef roast, any high grade beef, I use rump and sometimes a large scotch fillet
- 2 -3 tablespoons barbecue seasoning, any seasoning is okay
- Let meat stand at room temperature for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 190c (375F) degrees.
- Rub meat with seasoning and place fat side up in shallow pan.
- Do NOT cover or add water.
- Bake 1 hour, turn off heat.
- DO NOT OPEN OVEN!
- Turn oven back on to 190 deg C (375 deg F), 45-55 minutes before you plan to serve and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove roast from oven and cover with foil - do not carve for 15 minutes.