Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My friend Jolene gave me this fool-proof recipe 25 years ago. It works for Basmati, Jasmine, Long Grain, just about any type of Rice I've tried. Just follow the recipe and it works every time. I much prefer the flavor of Basmati.
- 1 cup basmati rice, white or 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 -5 saffron strands (optional)
- If you're cooking Dessert Rice use Water.
- If you're cooking Side dish Rice use Chicken Stock.
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Add the Rice, when the liquid comes back to a boil reduce the heat to a bare simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 20 min.
- For Brown Basmati Rice simmer 40 min.
- NO PEEKING, YOU'LL SPOIL IT! If you let the heat out it changes the cooking time!
- After the full 20 minutes remove from heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- A bit of Saffron added at this time is a good idea for side dish rice.
This is the most well written out perfect rice recipe. I've made this using Kohinoor Basmati rice. It works like a charm! The addition of saffron imparts a slight tinge of yellow-orange colour to it and makes it super wonderful! This is one recipe we cook and eat and enjoy everyday for lunch!
I've made this twice now and have had good results both times. I used brown basmati rice.
Perfect rice. Thanks so much Pierre, I will never cook rice in the microwave again. I used chicken stock and saffron as you suggested. This was well worth the 5 stars I am giving it. Thank you.