Recipe by Pierre Dance
My friend Jolene gave me this fool-proof recipe 25 years ago. It works for Basmati, Jasmine, Long Grain, just about any type of Rice I've tried. Just follow the recipe and it works every time. I much prefer the flavor of Basmati.
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is the most well written out perfect rice recipe. I've made this using Kohinoor Basmati rice. It works like a charm! The addition of saffron imparts a slight tinge of yellow-orange colour to it and makes it super wonderful! This is one recipe we cook and eat and enjoy everyday for lunch!
- 1 cup basmati rice, white or 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 2 cups water or 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 -5 saffron strands (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If you're cooking Dessert Rice use Water.
- If you're cooking Side dish Rice use Chicken Stock.
- Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Add the Rice, when the liquid comes back to a boil reduce the heat to a bare simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 20 min.
- For Brown Basmati Rice simmer 40 min.
- NO PEEKING, YOU'LL SPOIL IT! If you let the heat out it changes the cooking time!
- After the full 20 minutes remove from heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
- A bit of Saffron added at this time is a good idea for side dish rice.