Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a "dry rub" barbecue. This recipe can be altered to suit individual tastes and barbecue sauce (if used) can be served on the side.
- Start by cleaning any excess fat from rib section and carefully cut between bones to a depth of about 2 inches.
- Generously rub crushed garlic onto ribs, using rubber gloves if necessary.
- Rub salt and pepper onto ribs and place on a rack.
- Place the rack on a cookie sheet and cover all with foil.
- Place in preheated 300°F oven for 2 1/2 hours.
- At 1/2 hour intervals, take ribs from oven and swab with a mixture of equal parts vinegar and water.
- Do not soak ribs, buy hydrate thoroughly.
- A small amount of liquid smoke can be added to the mixture, if desired.
- After swabbing the last time, sprinkle the ribs with cayenne pepper, to taste.
- Replace for last 1/2 hour of cooking time.
- After total cooking time, take ribs from oven and uncover to cool.
- Before serving, put ribs on grill and heat thoroughly.
- Minutes before serving, sprinkle brown sugar on ribs until glazed.
- Serve immediately.