Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 946.36 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 414.03 ml vegetable shortening
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml cider vinegar
- 118.29 ml ice water
- In a large mixer bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Add the shortening and beat until mixture is crumbly, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl beat the egg well and add the vinegar and water.
- Pour over flour and beat until well combined, about 1 minute. Form dough into 4 balls, wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I'm not going to lie, at first i was a bit apprehensive about trying out this recipe because it used baking powder and eggs. Which i hadn't seen before in a pie crust recipe, but boy was i happy when i made the crust. Turned out great, i made 6 crusts in total, 2 were for an apple pie and i had some left over to make decorations on the crust.
Halved the recipe using only 3/4c shortening for a pot pie. DH thought that the crust was excellent. It did have good flavor and was quite flaky. Yum!
I have made this my regular pie crust recipe, using softened butter instead of crisco since I developed an allergy to soybean oil. It needs a little extra water when you use butter, but always turns out delicious and easy to work with. :-)