Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water, cold
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Blend cornstarch and cold water in saucepan. Add boiling water.
- Cook, stirring until clear and thickened. Let stand until cold. With electric beater on high speed, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually, add sugar; beat until stiff but not dry. Turn mixer to low speed; add soda and vanilla.
- Gradually, beat in cold cornstarch mixture. Raise mixer again to high speed; beat well. Spread meringue over cooled pie filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for at least 10 minutes
This recipe saved the day!! I have never made a lemon meringue pie before, and my husband requested it for a family gathering at our house. I already had the pie made, and the meringue recipe that I had, just didn't work. I was frantic to find another recipe. This on will always be in my cookbook!
I am happy to find this recipe here, I have used it for about 3 yr's now. Your guests will rave at your "piled-high" meringue. You will not have to worry about liquid on your pie if you beat it until stiff, then place on a hot filling. Don't forget that your egg whites should be at room temp anytime you want to beat them stiff. Just put them in a glass bowl, then set the bowl in warm sink water. Thanks for submitting this recipe Velvetine nut. I copied it down from a Martha show and was sure to lose the paper someday.
The texture was good, but it left too much liquid on top of my pie.