Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
No matter the altitude, or the weather this recipe always works. Never lets you down.
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) jar marshmallow creme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chunks
- Combine first 5 ingredients.
- Stir over low heat until well blended.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat, being careful not to mistake air bubbles for boiling.
- Then boil slowly stirring constantly, for 5 minutes to soft ball stage on a thermometer 234 degrees.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chocolate,marshmallow creme and vanilla until chocolate is melted.
- Then turn into a buttered 9x9-inch pan to cool.
I live in Denver (the mile-high city) and this recipe is indeed fail-proof at high altitude. I've found that boiling the fudge for 5 minutes is all I need to do; I've never checked it with a thermometer and it still makes perfect fudge every time.
**My family likes fudge with a deeper chocolate taste that's not so sweet, so instead of 12 oz. of semisweet chocolate chips, I use 4oz. semisweet chocolate and 8oz. unsweetened chocolate--the perfect fudge that's not too sweet!
Very good fudge recipe, Alexandria...turned out just the way fudge should...great texture....I will be making this again..soon, as myself and DH are very big on fudge, we just love it...Thank you for sharing, keep up the good work! :-) :-)