Recipe by joanna_giselle
This wonderful dark cake is so easy you don't even need a mixer but can stir the ingredients by hand! It's also the recipe I use for my kids' birthday party cakes. I double the recipe and make 4 large rectangular layers which I then fill with various creams/pudding mixes and top with a buttercream frosting.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour two 9x11 inch baking pans. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add water, oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer (or by hand) on low speed until combined. Beat for 2 minutes on medium to high speed.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven (180 C) for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick or skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely.
- Fill and frost cake with whipped cream.