Recipe by Greeny4444
This recipe is adapted from Paula Deen's son Jaime's chili recipe. It is from their "Family cook-off" episode on Food Network, but I changed a few things... partly for our tastes, and partly in the interest of not copying a celebrity. I have used ground beef, ground turkey, and ground bison (not all at the same time) - and we like when it's made with bison or turkey the most. I usually make cornbread or Cheddar Beer Bread to enjoy with this. Hope you like it!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 lbs ground meat
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (plain is ok, but with herbs or spices added are good too)
- 1 (28 ounce) can rotel, undrained (diced tomatoes with green chilis added)
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- italian seasoning (optional, if diced tomatoes aren't seasoned with herbs)
- dried basil (optional, if diced tomatoes aren't seasoned with herbs)
- dried oregano (optional, if diced tomatoes aren't seasoned with herbs)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet chili seasoning mix (I use low-sodium Chili seasoning from McCormick)
- shredded cheese, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet, brown meat. Drain and set aside.
- Spray a large (6- or 7-qt.) pot with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers, garlic, and celery, and saute briefly.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes and the Rotel.
- Add several shakes of cumin and chili powder (I do it until I can smell them -- you can always add more later), and also the italian seasoning, basil and oregano, if using.
- Cook for about 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the beans, browned meat, red pepper flakes, and chili seasoning.
- Partially cover, and simmer for at least 4 hours.
- Serve with shredded cheese and cornbread, if desired.