Recipe by Rollin in the Dough!
They are called never ending because this makes a HUGE amount of muffins! The batter has to sit overnight in the fridge and can be stored for 1-2 weeks in there, so you can have warm muffins everyday! Thanks to my friend Malorie for the recipe...*Update* Since this recipe makes so much I decided to freeze 1/2 the batch and it worked great. Just put cupcake liners in a muffin tin fill as usual, put the tin in the freezer for 1-2 hrs, take out and pop into a freezer bag. When ready to use just put back into the muffin tin, it will take about 3-5 extra minutes to bake!
- 1 cup shortening, sometimes I use 1/2 c applesauce for a lighter version, but you have to add an extra 1/2 Tbs flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 5 cups flour
- 3 cups all-bran cereal or 3 cups bran buds
- 2 cups bran flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups water
- 1 quart buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE: I did not calculate prep time in fridge overnight.
- In a X-LARGE, bowl cream sugar and shortening.
- Add eggs, salt, baking soda and mix well.
- Add 1 c flour, stir until just combined.
- Add 1 c buttermilk, stir until just combined.
- Repeat this until all flour and buttermilk is used.
- Add 1/2 cup water and 1 cup Bran cereal, stir until just combined.
- Repeat this until all the water and cereal is used.
- * Be sure NOT to overmix*.
- Let sit overnight in fridge, covered.
- Take out and stir-the cereal should have broken down and will mix well.
- Pour 1/3 c batter into muffin tins.
- Bake @ 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.