Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 dash water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped
- 7 cups flour, unbleached
- Heat milk and butter until very warm (120-130°F).
- Mix yeast, salt, sugar, and 1 cup flour.
- Slowly beat into warm milk.
- Beat for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and 1 cup of flour.
- Beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and let rise again until doubled (1 hour more).
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape pretzel as follows: roll dough into a rope about 30 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Cross the ends leaving a large loop in the center.
- Flip loop back onto crossed ends to form a pretzel.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place pretzels on greased baking sheets.
- Let rise 15 minutes more.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla to form a thin icing.
- Spread icing on pretzels and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
- Makes 2 large pretzels.
Best recipe Ive used in years, big hit with the crowd! This one goes in the recipe box!