Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
- Heat milk and butter until very warm (120-130°F).
- Mix yeast, salt, sugar, and 1 cup flour.
- Slowly beat into warm milk.
- Beat for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and 1 cup of flour.
- Beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl.
- Let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and let rise again until doubled (1 hour more).
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape pretzel as follows: roll dough into a rope about 30 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Cross the ends leaving a large loop in the center.
- Flip loop back onto crossed ends to form a pretzel.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place pretzels on greased baking sheets.
- Let rise 15 minutes more.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Mix confectioners' sugar, water and vanilla to form a thin icing.
- Spread icing on pretzels and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
- Makes 2 large pretzels.