Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From The Best Recipes in The World by Mark Bittman. Cook time does not include time to heat grill or preheat broiler. This can be an appetizer or a main dish if served with rice.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs steak, about 1 inch thick (strip cut works best)
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup nam pla
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 small fresh chili peppers, preferably Thai that have been steamed and seeded and minced or 2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 cups green leaf lettuce (or combination of green and red lettuces)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut in half lengthwise, and sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat a grill or broiler. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper, then grill for about 4 minutes per side or until medium-rare. Remove from the heat and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the nam pla, lime juice, farlic, shallots, chiles, and sugar. Cut the steak into 1/4 inch slices and immediately toss the steak with the dressing.
- Place the lettuce, cucumber, mint, and cilantro on a plate and top with the steak and dressing. Serve immediately.
My favourite type of meal - and this one did not disappoint with its salty and sour flavours. I forgot to buy shallots and used chilli sauce, otherwise made as written and it was delicious, AND low in fat as well!
Basic family cooking, quick and tasty. This is a spicy dish - if you're not sure about this flavor combination, it might be good to reduce the red pepper and the fish sauce the first time, with more lime. I used vietnamese fish sauce (nÆ°á»›c máº¯m) instead of thai, with red pepper flakes instead of whole peppers. We ate it over chopped cabbage, which was ok, but a chinese cabbage would probably be better.
The fish sauce really comes through on this dish...it is very salty. I served mine over rice with cucumbers on top and the meat next to it. I think next time I will try to marinate the meat in the sauce and serve it on top. This was quick and easy to do. Made for Zingo ZWT4.