From The Best Recipes in The World by Mark Bittman. Cook time does not include time to heat grill or preheat broiler. This can be an appetizer or a main dish if served with rice.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs steak, about 1 inch thick (strip cut works best)
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup nam pla
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 small fresh chili peppers, preferably Thai that have been steamed and seeded and minced or 2 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 cups green leaf lettuce (or combination of green and red lettuces)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, cut in half lengthwise, and sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat a grill or broiler. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper, then grill for about 4 minutes per side or until medium-rare. Remove from the heat and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the nam pla, lime juice, farlic, shallots, chiles, and sugar. Cut the steak into 1/4 inch slices and immediately toss the steak with the dressing.
- Place the lettuce, cucumber, mint, and cilantro on a plate and top with the steak and dressing. Serve immediately.