Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Posting for World Tour 2006 this recipe from the Netherlands according to an old Avon International Cookbook I have sitting around my house gathering dust. Chilling time not included in prep or cooking time as I consider this passive time and would be doing something else.
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups strawberries, halved (can use 2 cups any fruit fresh or canned and drained, or a combination of them.)
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- In saucepan stir together gelatin and sugar; add 2 cups of the butter milk. Cook and stir over low heat till gelatin and sugar dissolve. Cool 15 minutes.
- Add remaining buttermilk, lemon zest,and lemon juice. Pour into 6-cup mold. Cover and chill overnight.
- Unmold onto serving plate. Arrange assorted fruit around mold. Spoon Some of the Vanilla Sauce (directions given below) over; pass remaining sauce.
- Vanilla Sauce:.
- in small mixing bowl combine egg yolk, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat till smooth and well combined. In small mixer bowl whip cream to soft peaks; fold in egg yolk mixture. Cover and chill. Stir before serving. Makes 1 1/2 cups sauce.