Recipe by Scoutie
Very yummy! I found these in a local newspaper. You can grate some fresh onion and garlic and use that instead of the powders. I also have used sharp cheddar cheese or whatever cheese I have on hand. Use less cheese and sour cream if desired, however much works for you.
- 3 cups russet potatoes, grated
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives or 1⁄4 cup parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Grate potatoes and blot with paper towel to remove excess moisture; don’t rinse.
- Mix together potatoes, egg whites, Parmesan and seasonings.
- Scoop 1/4-cup of potato mixture into each muffin cup and press firmly onto bottom and up sides. Spray each nest with cooking spray.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and run an offset spatula or knife carefully around edges to loosen. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing.
- To assemble, sprinkle each nest with shredded Colby-Jack cheese, pipe in sour cream, sprinkle with bacon and garnish with chopped chives.
- Serve warm.
- Note: As a time saver, frozen hash browns, thawed, may be used.