Recipe by Fritz Willie
This recipe was from one of my brothers. We both like spicy food from the southwest or Mexico.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage or 1⁄2 lb bacon or 1⁄2 lb breakfast sausage or 1⁄2 lb ham
- 4 ounces cheese (monterey jack, hot pepper, cheddar or what ever is on hand)
- 2 bell peppers (bell, red or green, chopped)
- 1 onion (medium size, chopped)
- 3 onions (green, sliced)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (omit if using chorizo)
- sea salt and black pepper (fresh ground)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tortillas into ¼ to ½ inch strips.
- In a heavy skillet heat 2-tablespoons butter.
- Add tortilla strips.
- Browning slowly.
- In another heavy skillet, cook the sausage or ham or bacon.
- Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet and add 1-tablespoon butter.
- Sauté the onion and peppers just until they are soft.
- Add the chili powder.
- Mix the onion, peppers and meat together. Arrange the tortilla strips to cover the bottom of a skillet.
- Add the meat mixture on top.
- Do not stir.
- Add 1-tablespoon butter to the skillet.
- Beat the eggs and add to skillet.
- Let cook until almost set.
- Slice green onions and sprinkle on top. Shred cheese or just cut into pieces and place on top.
- Set under broiler until cheese is browned and bubbly.