Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
A delightful shrimp cream puff. My mom came up with this one. The recipe is for a very good pate a choux and the stuffing.
CREAM PUFF or PATE A CHOUX
- 1 cup water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 4 large eggs, plus
- 2 egg whites (eggs should equal 1 cup)
- 1 lb baby shrimp, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped very fine
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 -10 drops hot sauce, to taste
- PUFF or PATE A CHOUX:.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare 2 sheet pans with parchment.
- Boil water, butter, sugar and salt. While coming to a boil, prepare eggs.
- Add flour and remove from heat. Work mixture together and return to heat.
- Continue working the mixture until all flour is incorporated and dough forms a ball.
- Transfer mixture into bowl of a standing mixer and let cool for 3 or 4 minutes.
- With mixer on stir or lowest speed add eggs, 1 at a time, making sure the first egg is completely incorporated before continuing.
- Once all eggs have been added and the mixture is smooth, put dough into piping bag fitted with a round tip.
- Pipe immediately into golfball-size shapes, 2 inches apart onto parchment lined sheet pans.
- Cook for 30–35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Once they are removed from the oven pierce each puff with a paring knife immediately to release steam.
- SHRIMP FILLING:.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients except hot sauce and mix until well incorporated. Add hot sauce to taste. Chill. Fill piping bag and fill Pate a Choux puffs accordingly.