Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Every holiday or family gathering these are a must for my family and friends. Even my husband's family, who don't like mushrooms can't get enough of the stuffing. Although it's a great appetizer, I love the stuffing on grilled Portobellos. I do prefer more garlic, but for gatherings, I limit myself. Either way, this a keeper.
- 24 large fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (separated)
- Remove dirt from mushrooms. Remove stems. Chop stems to make 1 Cup.
- In medium skillet brown sausage, stems, onion, and garlic until cooked through.
- Stir in bread crumbs, cream cheese, and 2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Blend well.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps, top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Arrange on baking pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 8–10 minutes or until heated through. Serve immediately.
- (I usually double the recipe for the stuffing and either bake the additional stuffing to put on crackers or keep it warm in an open crock pot to put on crackers or bread. Yummy!)
- Try with Portobello Mushrooms: Cut off stems and use in stuffing, clean gills off mushrooms. Brush mushrooms with oil and then grill mushrooms, gill side down for about 5 minutes; turn over for another 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat, fill with stuffing and bake in oven as directed.