Recipe by WannabeChef@MV
My mother's own modified version of the classic Nepali dish. Serve as lunch or dinner, with or without gravy and ingredients you might just have in your fridge.
Top Review by Buster's friend
Wonderful combination of flavours! I followed recipe until step 5 - when I layered the vegies & marinated chicken in a pyrex baking dish & baked for 80 minutes - aromatic wonderful! I crushed the pepper, coriander & cumin seed in my mortar, diced the ginger after smacking it flat & ran the garlic through garlic press - The freshly ground spices really made the meal! I have already packed my portion for lunch tomorrow - nestled on a bed of broccoli to be nuked to perfection! This is a keeper, thanks WannabeChef@MV!
- 1 kg chicken (Chicken fillet, cubed pieces or any form you like)
- 1 onion
- 2 red capsicums
- 2 tomatoes
- 59.16 ml yogurt
- 4.92 ml ginger paste or 4.92 ml chopped gingerroot
- 9.85 ml garlic paste or 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml pepper
- 4.92 ml coriander powder
- 2.46 ml cumin seed
- 44.37 ml cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Marinate the chicken mixing your pieces with 1 Tablespoon yougurt, 1 Teaspoon garlic paste or chopped, and salt+pepper.
- Place this mixture in a fridge for 30 minutes.
- Chop Onions, Capsicums and 1 tomato in cubes. Pour 1 tablespoon cooking oil in a pan with lid, fry these vegetables on low heat for 30 minutes.
- Add a pinch of pepper and cover the pan for best "steamed" results. Leave these on heat and proceed to the next steps.
- After the chicken is marinated, fry it to a golden brown. Drain and leave aside.
- In another pan, heat a tablespoon of cooking oil, fry 1 peeled, deseeded and slightly crushed tomato.
- After 1 minute, add 1 teaspoon garlic paste or chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, and 1 teaspoon corriander powder. Fry this mixture for at least 5 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons of yogurt. If you like a lot of gravy, then you can add more yogurt. But if you prefer dry chicken, then 3 is enough.
- Add your already fried chicken to this mixture.
- Let this cook until the oil appears on the edges of the pan or when gravy thickens.
- Now add this cooked mixture on top of the bed of onions, capsicums and tomatoes in the other pan which is already on low heat. No need to mix everything.
- You're done. Serve with boiled white rice.