Recipe by love4culinary
This is a lovely dish that is pretty easy to put together, and is full of flavor. :)
Top Review by browniepie
I cooked 5 cups of rice and increased all of the ingredients. I think I may have used a little too much water, because my rice was just a touch overcooked. I think if I would have followed the recipe exactly it probably would have turned out better, but the flavor was still good. I wanted to try this dish for company and they seemed to like it despite the overcooked rice. By the way, I also added a couple of potatoes in there and I think next time I'll add some red chili powder just for that extra kick!
- 1 1⁄4 cups basmati rice
- 1⁄3 teaspoon cumin seed, to your desire
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric, to your desire
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 3 green chilies, sliced in half
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse rice thoroughly, and then soak it in water for about 45 minutes.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a pan, and add cumin seeds, allowing them to heat until they begin to change color.
- Then add turmeric, bay leaf, cloves cardamom pods and cinnamon.
- Then add ginger, garlic and chilies.
- Cook on medium heat for just a minute.
- Next, add the onion, tomato and green peas, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Now, drain the water from rice and add rice, stirring gently for a minute to combine thoroughly.
- Add 2 and 1/2 cup of water, and add salt to taste.
- Cook on high heat, stirring gently but continuously.
- When water is almost absorbed, add lemon juice.
- Lower your heat, cover the pan, and allow it to continue cooking for approximately 7 minutes or so, until the rice is completely cooked.
- Serve immediately.