Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A rich flavored curry-easy to make and not expensive. Can be thrown together at the last minute, a favorite also with vegetarians.
- 14.79 ml cooking oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 1-2 mild green chili
- 9.85 ml garlic, chopped
- 4.92 ml gingerroot, fresh grated
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 4.92 ml salt
- 473.18 ml potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 236.59 ml peas
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 9.85 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 236.59 ml hot water
- Heat oil in a saucepan and fry onion until soft and golden. Stir in pepper, chili, garlic, ginger, turmeric and salt. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes then add the potatoes; stir.
- Add the remaining ingredients and hot water. Simmer until vegetables are cooked, thicken if necessary.
- Serve with rice and accompaniments.
This is a great and easy curry! I used a whole large jalapeno for the chili pepper and it was great with the potatoes, just added a mellow heat. This smelled great cooking and had a beautiful color. Hearty, flavorful, and quick to prepare - loved this - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for the Best of 2012 event, recommended by rpgaymer
This was good, but not great. It was simple to make and we finished it and all of our leftovers but found it lacking... something. It was just very plain, and I was expecting more complexity. Won't make again, but I don't regret making it.
Two great things (potatoes and peas) brought together by tons of warm spicey goodness (but not too spicy). This is easy and fairly quick to prepare. I did take a little short cut and partially boiled the potatoes the day before. It is also a healthy choice.