Recipe by COOKGIRl
From Mediterranean Dishes. Use only the best zucchini available. Do not prepare out of season!
- 2 lbs zucchini
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 pints hot vegetable broth
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped (curly parsley okay to use)
- 12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 6 slices Italian bread, toasted (or French bread)
- lemon slice
Directions See How It's Made
- Without peeling the zucchini, cut into small cubes. Heat the olive oil on medium and cook the zucchini for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the hot stock, season to taste with salt and pepper; cover and stew gently for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and Parmesan cheese together with the herbs.
- Just before serving the soup, place the toasted bread in a soup tureen. Remove the soup from the heat and quickly stir in the egg mixture using a wire whisk.
- Pour the soup over the toast, add a bit more salt or pepper if needed and serve immediately.
- Serve lemon slices on side for garnish.