1/1 Photo of Neopolitan Flan (Aka Caramel Flan Cake)
1 hr 30 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
Norashikin Ismail sent me this recipe after I saw a picture of it on my wall and requested it. She is a friend on FB, a fabulous baker, and caring person.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
SPONGE CAKE LAYER
- 2PAN AND OVEN PREP:.
- 3Use a deep 9 inch round pan, and a larger pan to set it in for a bain marie(water bath).
- 4Put empty cake pan into larger pan and, holding the cake pan down so it doesn't float, add hot water to a depth of 3/4 inch.
- 5Remove cake pan from larger pan and put larger pan in oven to preheat all to 350*F while making cake.
- 6CARAMEL LAYER:.
- 7Mix sugar and 1 Tbs water and heat until caramelized(brownish in color).
- 8Carefully add remaining water and stir to dissolve.
- 9Pour into, and cover bottom of, 9 inch round pan.
- 10Set aside.
- 11FLAN LAYER:.
- 12Pour warm milk into beaten egg and vanilla mix; making sure not to cause eggs to foam.
- 13Strain the mixture 3 TIMES, making sure there are no solid particles left.
- 14Set aside.
- 15SPONGE CAKE LAYER :.
- 16Mix all ingredients on high speed for 7 to 8 minutes until the mix becomes light and fluffy.
- 17Divide into 3 portions, tint 1 portion pink and another green(see picture).
- 18Pour pudding mixture carefully over caramel layer in cake pan.
- 19Carefully pour layers of the tinted and untinted cake batter over this, alternating colors(see picture).
- 20Layer of cake batter will look messy but will smooth out after a few minutes.
- 21Return cake pan to bain marie and bake for 1 hour.
- 22Cool on cake rack for 10 minutes before flipping onto serving plate.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Neopolitan Flan (Aka Caramel Flan Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (80 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.1
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 144.1 mg
- Sodium 100.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 13.5 g
- Protein 6.9 g