Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The person who originated this recipe was from Guatemala. How he got the name of "Nelson" is anyones guess. Fluent in the English language....but like a lot of good cooks, he did not cook from a written recipe, just from memory! After watching him cook this and translatin "a pinch of this", "a dash of that" and "some of those" into usuable measurements, I managed to create his dish on my own. The favorite measurement he kept saying for this recipe was "two fingers beer!", "two fingers beer!" and then would start to laugh! Two (2) fingers beer = 1/3 of a cup!!!
- 1133.98-1360.77 g chicken (skinless legs and thighs)
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 2 clove of minced garlic
- 1 medium green pepper (diced small)
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 127.57 g can sliced mushrooms (Drained)
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 9.85 ml crushed dry oregano
- 2.46 ml dried rosemary (crushed)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 1 jar of small pimento stuffed olive (These can be crushed by hand when added)
- 3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 78.07 ml dry red wine
- 78.07 ml beer
- 354.88 ml water
- your favorite hot pasta
- Cook onions with garlic in oil until tender-- remove and set aside Brown chicken in same pan Combine all ingredients including onions-- Do not include wine and beer.
- In a pot, pour ingredients over chicken and stir to combine.
- Cover pot and simmer (low heat) for 1/2 hr.
- Uncover-- add wine and beer-- cook uncovered for an additional 15 mins.
- or as long as it takes to thicken mixture to your taste!
- Serve over your choice of hot pasta.