1 hr 5 mins
Rick B(2)'s Note:
The person who originated this recipe was from Guatemala. How he got the name of "Nelson" is anyones guess. Fluent in the English language....but like a lot of good cooks, he did not cook from a written recipe, just from memory! After watching him cook this and translatin "a pinch of this", "a dash of that" and "some of those" into usuable measurements, I managed to create his dish on my own. The favorite measurement he kept saying for this recipe was "two fingers beer!", "two fingers beer!" and then would start to laugh! Two (2) fingers beer = 1/3 of a cup!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2-3 lbs chicken (skinless legs and thighs)
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 medium green pepper (diced small)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (Drained)
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons crushed dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 jar of small pimento stuffed olive (These can be crushed by hand when added)
- 3 -4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup beer
- 1 1/2 cups water
- your favorite hot pasta
- 1Cook onions with garlic in oil until tender-- remove and set aside Brown chicken in same pan Combine all ingredients including onions-- Do not include wine and beer.
- 2In a pot, pour ingredients over chicken and stir to combine.
- 3Cover pot and simmer (low heat) for 1/2 hr.
- 4Uncover-- add wine and beer-- cook uncovered for an additional 15 mins.
- 5or as long as it takes to thicken mixture to your taste!
- 6Serve over your choice of hot pasta.
Browse Our Top Weeknight Recipes
Nutritional Facts for NELSON'S Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (485 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 653.5
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 129.3 mg
- Sodium 1057.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 39.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento stuffed olives