Neiman-Marcus's Lemon/Orange Soufflé
- Soften gelatin in cold water; set aside. Mix egg yolks, lemon juice, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar. Cook in double boiler until thickened. Stir in gelatin, lemon peel, and lemon extract.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in rest of sugar, and beat until stiff. Whip the cream. Fold egg whites into custard as it begins to congeal, then fold in whipped cream.
- Pour into custard cups and refrigerate. Unmold and serve with sauce of apricots pureed in the blender and sweetened to taste or pour into a 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish or mold. I like to put a collar of foil around a 1-quart soufflé dish, tie securely, then remove before bringing to the table.
- .This can be served cold with any fruit and flavored whipped cream.
- For Orange Soufflé substitute 1/2 cup.
- orange juice and 1 tablespoon grated orange peel for the lemon juice and lemon peel, and omit the lemon extract.