Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful hearty meatless soup. The cream cheese gives it a velvety texture. Great with a salad and some crusty bread.
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 (3 ounce) canschopped green chilies, drained well
- 4 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained well
- 12 ounces cream cheese, cut into bits
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- monterey jack cheese, shredded
- corn tortilla strips
- In saucepan, cook onion in butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until soft.
- Add chilies and tomatoes. Cook 10 min or so until liquid is evaporated.
- Stir in cream cheese. Maintain mod heat until cheese is melted.
- Stir in chicken broth, half and half, lemon juice, cayenne and salt. Heat soup until it is hot, but do not let it boil.
- Serve with mont jack and tortilla strips.
Great soup! I will keep it as a regular soup recipe for my family and friends. 5 stars!!!!