Recipe by xDAVEx
Love their soup? Don't want the uppity atmosphere? Here you go! Makes about a gallon. It was great for something different. My family loves soup but have exhausted all of our recipes. We loved it, tell me what you think. I found this on a "secret recipe" forum. Chef's name is Robert Metz.
Top Review by Cook4_6
I love Tortilla Soup and this is a terrific recipe. It is more time consuming than some of the other recipes out there, but it is worth the extra effort. I did not have corn tortillas, so added 1/2 cup of corn meal in there place. It thickened it up nicely and was wonderfully flavorful! Definitely keeping this recipe with my other favorite soup recipes! Original Review 5/5/08; Update 12/15/08: I made this for a carry-in for the middle school teachers and added a can of rotel tomatos instead of fresh chopped; I also used 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 light cream and it turned out great! Thanks again!
- 3⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 -4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 ounces taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock
- 6 soft corn tortillas, shredded
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 4 -6 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro leaf, chopped
- 3⁄4 ounce cheddar cheese spread
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pint heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté first 7 ingredients in large stockpot until tender.
- Stir in garlic and taco seasoning.
- Add chicken stock, corn tortillas and cooked chicken breast.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro and Cheddar cheese spread, then simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add baking soda; stir well.
- When foaming subsides, add heavy cream and simmer 30 minutes more.
- Garnish with baked tortilla strips.