Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Love their soup? Don't want the uppity atmosphere? Here you go! Makes about a gallon. It was great for something different. My family loves soup but have exhausted all of our recipes. We loved it, tell me what you think. I found this on a "secret recipe" forum. Chef's name is Robert Metz.
- 3⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 -4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 ounces taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken stock
- 6 soft corn tortillas, shredded
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 4 -6 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro leaf, chopped
- 3⁄4 ounce cheddar cheese spread
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pint heavy cream
- Sauté first 7 ingredients in large stockpot until tender.
- Stir in garlic and taco seasoning.
- Add chicken stock, corn tortillas and cooked chicken breast.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cilantro and Cheddar cheese spread, then simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add baking soda; stir well.
- When foaming subsides, add heavy cream and simmer 30 minutes more.
- Garnish with baked tortilla strips.
I love Tortilla Soup and this is a terrific recipe. It is more time consuming than some of the other recipes out there, but it is worth the extra effort. I did not have corn tortillas, so added 1/2 cup of corn meal in there place. It thickened it up nicely and was wonderfully flavorful! Definitely keeping this recipe with my other favorite soup recipes! Original Review 5/5/08; Update 12/15/08: I made this for a carry-in for the middle school teachers and added a can of rotel tomatos instead of fresh chopped; I also used 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 light cream and it turned out great! Thanks again!
first of all, there's nothing "secret" about the recipe for chicken tortilla soup served at the neiman marcus cafe. it's in one of their earlier cookbooks - may have been the first. i've made it many times and the ingredient list is as long as my arm. this recipe isn't even close. and snooty atmosphere? no way. it's always a very nice experience.
My first go at tortilla soup. Very tasty and uncomplicated. Was pleasantly surprised to discover the tortillas dissolve! I used one can of diced tomatoes in place of the fresh. Would do rotel next time as other reviewer did or just add some green chili peppers. Also sub'ed grated cheddar cheese for the cheese spread as I didn't have any. My husband liked it a lot. I wonder if it freezes well? Might try that next time around.