Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Our Slovenian-Canadian neighbours served us this last summer at a neighbourhood get-together; tastes amazing, and omits all the mayo that potato salad is otherwise cursed with. Where this calls for six medium potato's, it goes better with an equal volume of "spring" baby potato's, about 1"-1.5" in diameter... This is a superb accompaniment to a BBQ menu!
- 6 red potatoes, medium sized
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (NOT finely)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Boil unpared potato's until tender, and drain.
- When cool, pare and slice finely.
- Add balance of ingredients, and stir gently.
- Place in the fridge to marinate for about 3 hours.
- Mix again when serving.
We are living in Slovenia and LOVE the local potato salad. Our neighbors are very protective of their traditional recipes so imagine their surprise when I served this at a get together! I used a red onion and traditionally they would use a regular yellow onion. I also used plain old white vinegar. It was yummy and definitely a keeper. Thanks John for submitting this wonderful taste of Slovenia recipe!