1/6 Photos of Neighborhood Ham and Bean Soup
6 hrs 30 mins
The flavors in this bean soup remind me of the bean soup my grandmother used to make on our farm in Ohio when I was a young girl. I love to make it during the winter months -- it doesn't last long. My daughter is now making it for her family as well. Maybe it's called "Neighborhood" bean soup because the neighbors love it when I make it -- it's a wonderful soup to share with special friends. It is great served wtih a nice piece of hot corn bread. I can't remember exactly where I found the recipe -- but I'm glad I have it and I hope you will feel the same.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 5 cups chicken broth (low sodium is best)
- 3 cups water
- 1 large meaty ham bone (I use 2 or 3 smoked ham hocks)
- 2 -3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped (I also put in a handful of the chopped celery leaves)
- 1 large potato, cut into cubes (optional, but very good)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2”.
- 2Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain.
- 4Add broth, water, ham bone, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours (I find I usually add at least an hour to this).
- 6Sauté’ onions, carrots and celery in oil; add to soup along with cubed potato (if using).
- 7Cover and simmer 1 hour longer.
- 8Debone ham and cut into chunks; return to soup.
- 9Skim fat (I find I don’t have any to skim).
- 10I like to mash some of the beans once they get soft. My total cooking time is more like 6 hours than 4 hours.
- 11Great served with corn bread.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Neighborhood Ham and Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.3
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 687.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: