Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is from a restaurant in Inner Mongolia, China. The original recipe called for beef which would be appropriate since most of Inner Mongolia is grasslands where cattle are raised for meat and milk.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups lettuce, coarsely torn and packed in the measuring cup (use a combination of lettuces)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 lb ground beef (can use a combination) or 1/2 lb ground pork (can use a combination)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinkiang vinegar or 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1Place the lettuce in a wide salad bowl or serving dish and set aside.
- 2Place a wok or heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Toss in the garlic and stir-fry for 10 seconds, then add the ginger. Stir-fry over medium-high to medium heat until slightly softened and starting to turn color.
- 3Add the meat and use your spatula to break it up so there are no lumps at all, then add the salt and stir-fry until most of the meat has changed color.
- 4Add the soy sauce and vinegar and stir to blend. Add the warm water and stir. The dressing can be prepared ahead to this point and set aside for up to 20 minutes. When you are ready to proceed, bring to a boil.
- 5While the dressing mixture is coming to a boil, place the cornstarch in a small cup or bowl and stir in the cold water to make a smooth paste.
- 6Once the liquid is bubbling in the pan, give the cornstarch mixture a final stir, add to the pan, and stir for about 1 minutes: the liquid will thicken and become smoother. Taste for salt, and add a little salt or soy sauce if you wish. Add the sesame oil and stir once, then pour onto the lettuce.
- 7Immediately toss the salad to expose all the greens to the hot dressing. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nei Mongol Hot Lettuce Salad
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.5
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 591.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: